RSS feeds are wonderful as time savers....or are they? I can get 'lost' on my bloglines page, delving into all sorts of interesting information because it's just so easy to access all from one place. I go into bloglines looking for the latest current world news plus the latest posts and info from various library sites etc etc and find myself reading the latest posts on a friends blog, checking out my favourite Dilbert cartoon and so on. Something which should save me time searching for the information I want every day actually takes up too much of my time! Alright, I understand, I have to use self-control and not peek at anything I don't really need on any day! However if I just went to the specific site I needed I wouldn't be tempted to 'tour the world'.
I like the Tuesday Book Club, USATODAY.com books, Innovate, and POSTSECRET among many (not forgetting Dilbert!)
All that said I believe feeds are invaluable for research, or to receive notifications from a particular site which is essential for your work. Anyone with a favourite sport or hobby also can enjoy feeds from their favourite sites instead of chasing around a number of different URLs to get the latest pattern etc.
Feeds are great for libraries. Place a subscription button on your library website and it provides automatic library promotion for any upcoming events, displays, competitions and activities. The site can have several subscription buttons, including maybe one for the latest books in the collection or the latest CDs for the Youth Space.
I've added the feed to PostSecret to my License 2 Test Drive blog.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment