Monday, November 23, 2009

Browsers

I've not used Safari or Opera but I currently use Firefox and sometimes if I want just a quick hit I use Chrome.

I was interested in the video comparing the top 4 and pleased that I agreed with the verdict of Firefox being the top browser. I didn't know that it was the most secure though, so that was an added bonus. Explorer is so far behind that I have removed the shortcut icon to it from my desktop and only have quick access to Firefox and Chrome.

I like the way Chrome has an opening page of websites frequently visited. I just go into that and quick click into the sites I use daily. I use the address bar as a search tool in both of my favourite browsers though I hadn't used boolean terms so far but will try them from now on. Tabbed browing is so much better but of course Explorer now has this as well. Firefox Add - ons which I like include Shareoholic, Fast Video, and Glue.

Zotero is a good add on for helping students with their bibliographies. As we only use Explorer at work I would advice them to add this add on at home. Clipmarks is great for selecting the parts that you need out of the whole page and printing only that part, not printing off the whole thing, so very useful at the reference desk, if only we used Firefox :-(

No comments: