Social networking is communicating with others either socially including family friends and communities of interest or professionally. Participants add content by exchanging information, images, photos and video. It resembles the interaction of a meeting with a friend or colleague in a real world networking situation but instead takes place virtually via the internet. Therefore instead of these exchanges reaching only those in your immediate vicinity in any situation they may now reach the world in that same minute.
There are well known social networking tools like Facebook and Twitter but SN happens in many ways on many sites such as Amazon by providing the facility for online reviews and discussions. Providing content and exchanging views and news is everywhere on the internet.
I currently use Facebook Twitter Delicious Flickr and LibraryThing. FB is used daily, the others are spasmodic and I rarely contribute. I think it would be accurate to say I have joined many things to learn about them but apart from Facebook don’t actually use them much. I don’t use anything professionally. I do follow some interesting librarians’ blogs and on Twitter but don’t participate by commenting.
I would like to take away 2 things from this course. Personally I would definitely like to be less of a lurker everywhere I go on the internet. More importantly I would like to see how libraries can implement the use of social networking to provide services and facilities for customers that they would actually use! How do libraries achieve that? Our efforts at a Book Club wiki and a Lib – Education blog were unsuccessful
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment